“Eyes Are the Windows to Our Soul” It’s True!
We have all heard this saying, right? It might be an old saying, but it’s true. Your eyes are the major focal point of your face. Keeping your eyes bright, alert, beautiful, and welcoming enhances your beauty and boosts your self confidence. Aging, genetics, stress, and bad habits cause the area around your eyes to lose elasticity, become puffy and creates bags and dark circles. Medical remedies for these issues include aesthetic treatments and the facial plastic surgery procedure blepharoplasty (eyelid lift). Read more about Blepharoplasty surgery options. Each of these options alleviates these issues that make our eyes look older and tired. In addition to those solutions, here are a few easy, daily tips to keep your eyes brighter and more beautiful.
Healthy Diet for Your Eyes
Do you wake up in the morning and your eyes are puffy? Try some of these remedies to reduce that puffiness.
- Drink more water. Water does wonders for our body’s health, the appearance of our skin, and reducing water retention. Water retention makes your eyes appear puffy. Women should drink 1.5 liters of water daily – and that does not account for replenishing water lost due to sports or sweating – in that case increase your intake.
- Avoid food high in fat, sugar, and sodium. These foods may bloat your face and make the skin around your eyes swell and appear puffy.
- Eat more lean protein and avoid excess carbs. While you are avoiding excess carbs, also think about reducing all processed foods, which are heavy in the “bad list” items (fat, sugar, and sodium).
- Iron Rich Diet. Iron deficiency contributes to under eye bags and dark circles. Include plenty of spinach, kidney beans, and dark chocolate in your diet.
- Eat your Brussels Sprouts. And, eat your brussel sprouts with olive oil to keep your eyes healthy. This combination helps your body absorb the important nutrient Lutein found in Brussels Sprouts which is key in preventing cataracts and the eye disease macular degeneration.
Natural Eye Compresses
- Sweet Potato Eye Pad. A sweet potato slice first thing in the morning beats a cucumber eye compress to reduce puffiness and dark circles. Cut a one inch slice and rest for 10 minutes with sweet potato pads on your eyes in the morning, if you wake up with puffy, dark circles.
- Green Tea Bag Compresses. Green tea bags also work well as eye compresses. The combination of a cool compress with the tannins in the tea constricts blood vessels and reduces swelling. Caffeine in the tea also reduces swelling.
- Get your rest. Sufficient nightly sleep and rest minimizes the “raccoon eyes” look. Get your beauty rest to keep your eyes naturally bright and alert.
- Eye creams. Today there are an abundant amount of eye cream choices that help reduce puffiness and dark circles. Find one that works for you. Gentle nightly application of creams formulated for the thinner skin of the eye area moisturize the skin and soften the appearance of wrinkles. Good choices are eye gels or Calendula eye balm.
- Remove Makeup Nightly. Be sure to remove your makeup each night. Use eye make up remover and cleanse gently around your sensitive eye area.
- Vitamin E creams. Vitamin E has healing properties that benefit your sensitive eye area.
- Daily SPF Sunscreen. Always wear sunscreen on your face each day.
- Hats & Sunglasses. Protect your skin and your eyes from squinting that creates wrinkles and the sun spots caused by the sun. Learn more about selecting the best sunglasses to protect your eyes and help prevent wrinkles.
Makeup Tips for Younger Looking Eyes
- Eyeliner Tips: Use darker eyeliner above the lash line on your upper lids. And, use a lighter color below the lash line on your lower lids. Too much dark mascara and eyeliner makes your eyes look heavy and accentuates wrinkles and age related issues.
- Update Your Make Up Techniques. Makeup has trending styles, just like clothing. Using outdated makeup application techniques or colors ages you. There are plenty of videos and guides available to help you select updated makeup looks best suited for you.
- Update Your Hair Style. Another giveaway that ages us is outdated hair styles. Select a more current hairstyle that complements your features.
- Lightening Dark Circles with Concealer. Use a creamy concealer with yellow undertones to lighten dark circles. The yellow tone helps neutralize the purple hues of dark circles.
If you are plagued by deep under eye troughs and dark circles that don’t respond to good care and some makeup, consider under-eye dermal fillers. Carefully choose your treatment provider. Our Aesthetics partners at ZonaMedSpa are licensed medical aestheticians. There are many dermal filler options and your aesthetician or doctor will determine the best match for your situation and skin.
Some situations call for a surgical solution. Blepharoplasty (eyelid) surgery takes years off your looks. With sagging, puffy, or droopy eyelids repaired, the eye area appears rejuvenated and refreshed, so if you are ‘Tired of Looking Tired’, consider this surgery. The eyelid lift procedure is unique to each patient, and your surgeon should address your specific concerns, needs, and expectations. We strongly recommend utilizing a facial plastic surgery specialist. Learn More about Blepharoplasty surgery and recovery.
Keep your eyes refreshed, healthy and beautiful! They communicate so much to the world.